Monday, September 20, 2010

Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

So in my last post, I mentioned that my top album from last week was Fox Confessor Brings the Flood by Neko Case. Chances are that this album is going to remain in my top ten for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if it reached number 1 again in the future.
I first heard of Neko Case in my friend's recording studio (submergent studios, check out the link on the side). We were slacking off on a break when one of our buddies Jay started showing us a remake that Jon Rauhouse, the talented steel guitarist, did of The World is Waiting for a Sunrise by Les Paul and Mary Ford. He informed that the girl singing Mary Ford's part was Neko Case. The day after I heard this, I decided to head out to the store and buy the Jon Rauhouse album we were listening to. I bought the album just for that one song! I soon became excited about the rest of the album as you can see it is in my last post's top ten. Soon after this I began seeing advertisements for Jakob Dylan's next album Women and Country produced by T Bone Burnett and featuring none other than Kelly Hogan and NEKO CASE! I picked it up and I still enjoy the album very much today.
A few months after purchasing Women and Country, I decided to finally pick up an actual Neko Case solo album. I searched her music and sampled the first track Margaret vs Pauline. I was blown away just as much as I had been while listening to her on the Jon Rauhouse album. The song had everything I needed. The instruments sounded great and they were real instruments recorded by real musicians. The chords were more than just major and minor. The rhythm was more than just a beat machine. Her voice was unique and her lyrics were meaningful. I bought the album without hesitation as if it was some kind of a rare find that I would never be able to purchase again. The truth is that this album sounded completely new and completely vintage at the same time. As a guitar player, I was also blown away by the guitar tones. They captured the essence of gentle warmess and old school country twang. This album is perfect for folk fans, indie fans, country fans, and I believe most people would walk away better for hearing it. You can check some songs on her website. http://www.nekocase.com/downloads/ 
-Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment